Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Day Twelve - Weight Loss Diary - Water Balloon

It's Day Twelve of my daily weight loss diary blog! 208.2...UGH! I woke up so swollen this morning, I looked like I had been injected with water. My face looked like a water balloon. Yuk! I am hoping that the post-triathlon-refueling-and-hydration-extravaganza will start to wear off soon and I will feel normal again.

I experienced the hugest boost to my ego today. My dear friend, Meg, is a 5th grade teacher at an elementary school on the West Side of Chicago and she invited me to spend the day with her 5th graders and do a cooking project with them based on Roald Dahl's (author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, etc.) cookbook, "Revolting Recipes." Part of the cooking project was that the students had to research me and do a PowerPoint presentation on my work and life. OMG I was dying! They were so flattering and so adorable. It was both surreal and touching at the same time. I felt like such a rockstar. I happen to big on the 5th grade circuit, who knew! ;-)

At the end of the day, one of the kids gave me a homemade bookmark she made for me and as I was leaving they were shouting, "We love you Chef Jen". I wanted to die it was so frickin' cute. Holy shit, though, there is no way I could do that every day for a living. I was exhausted by the end of the day. I don't know how Meg and all of the other elementary, middle and high school teachers do it. You have to be a special kind of person to dedicate your life to teaching children and I am in awe.

Check out some of these PowerPoints, they are so adorable:

Love the "Eye of the Tiger"
One of the kids asked me for my autograph...I was dying! It was so sweet!

Damn Right!
Worlds Greatest Chef! Come on!!!!! How frickin' cute is that. 
Pretty? Seriously, my heart was bursting.

2 comments:

  1. She IS very pretty! These are awesome. What a fun thing to do. My 5th graders would have loved you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to see that autograph-she was so proud :)

    One thing you can be sure of-those kids are completely genuine. They wouldn't put anything in those power points that wasn't 100 % true. They had a wonderful time and I can't wait to hear how they talk about it tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete