Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Training and Inspiration

I've had a great training week so far and have amped up my dedication to the workouts. First, I started a triathlon training group on Sunday. It is through Experience Triathlon, which is the organization running the Batavia Triathlon on June 9.

I was super nervous about joining a training group. I don't have a great history with "official" training groups and I was sort of dreading meeting new people (probably very fit people) and feeling like the slowest one in the room...again. It ended up being great. Everyone was "normal" and the coaches couldn't be more nurturing or nicer. I was so relieved. Each training session we will do two events...this first training session we did spinning and then swimming. Swimming is my hardest event so I am so glad to get some official training on it. I road nine miles Sunday morning then did the spinning...needless to say, I was a little sore Sunday night.

The old me on the old bike. 

I am also training on a new (old) bike. My friend Sue gifted me one of her racing bikes and it is awesome. I have been using a hybrid bike that is great, but not great for Triathlon. It is a little heavy and the wheels are wide. This new bike is a racing bike (which I've never ridden before) and I can't believe how much easier it is to ride and hit the hills. I seriously think I am going to take a ton of time off my bike ride this year. It's kind of exciting because I normally am just worried about finishing a race but I really think I can improve my times this year because of this enhanced training. This isn't a novel idea, but I've never even considered getting a coach until I read "Triathlon for the Every Woman" by Meredith Atwood (Swim Bike Mom). It's the best decision I've made with regards to training.

New training bible! Check out her blog too if you haven't yet: www.swimbikemom.com 


I also purchased a Garmin training watch/heart rate monitor/GPS system. The thing is seriously pimp and so accurate and easy. I am so excited about using it for my training. And it stores all of your data so for Logging Nerds like me, it is awesome to have all of the data at your fingertips.

Obsessed with my new toy!


On Monday night, we did the Run for Boston which raised funds for The One Fund Boston. It was an incredible night with people all over running to raise money for Boston. I ran with a couple of my running buddies and actually improved my time a little bit and felt great doing it. It feels so good to be back in the fitness world and the running community. I didn't realize how much I missed it and how much it was depressing me to be out of it until I made it back.

With some of my running buddies! We have a joke about "posing" for every photo. It was a beautiful night!

Photo Courtesy of Geneva Running Outfitters. http://www.genevarunningoutfitters.com/
 All of the incredible Runners for Boston in front of the windmill in my town. Isn't it beautiful? 

I swam yesterday using some of the training techniques I learned at my training group and honestly, I am just feeling great! Hopeful. Happy. Motivated. Now, I just need to get some of this poundage off. Still working on it. I am teaching 16-4th graders how to decorate cupcakes today...makes eating healthy hard but my goal is to NOT eat a cupcake today. Stupid cupcakes.

These t-shirts were donated so that all of the proceeds went to The One Fund Boston.  Donate here: https://secure.onefundboston.org/page/-/donate2.html

1 comment:

  1. I swear you are now going to best my butt in this tri. That bike was my secret weapon. You go girl. :)

    ReplyDelete