Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sweaty Superheroes

I hate to sweat. I know, not a good thing to hate when you are working on your fitness, to quote Fergi. Ugh, did I just quote Fergi? Anyway, I really do hate to sweat. A couple of times a month I work a 3-10 shift and have the whole day to myself. That never, ever, happens and on those days, I somehow always end up being Super Slug Girl. Today was one of those 3-10 days and I vowed to break the cycle of lounging in my polar bear print jammies with coffee and backed up episodes of Masterpiece Theater Real Housewives of Insert City Name on the DVR. Today, I went out and bought new running shoes, which I’ve needed for a couple of weeks now and got myself out there on an almost-3 mile mostly-run. As I was working myself up to going out, the only thing that was holding me back was the thought of getting sweaty. Now, I was planning to shower anyway, much to the relief of my co-workers I’m sure, but I just didn’t feel like getting sweaty. And I’m a sweater. Not a sweater, a sweat-er. Two steps into my run and I’m red faced and sweating like a...like a...um, I usually use the idiom sweating like a whore in church, but I’ll be more delicate here. Sweating like snowball in summer. There, that’s a little more lady-like. My mom does read this blog after all. It was a beautiful, non-humid, 60 degree day today and I was still sweating like it was 100 degrees with 100 percent humidity. And I hate it. Hate, hate, hate. But, it felt great when I was done, as it always does and I was so happy to finally have my new shoes.

It really bugs me that you have to replace running shoes so often. They say every three to four months, but, like the oil change in my car, I usually drag it out to 6 months. But about three weeks ago, I started getting these horrible pains in my legs on the outsides of my calves and thighs when I was running and I knew it was my shoes. It’s the same pain every time my shoes wear out. Seriously, though, at a $100 bucks a pop, you’d think they would last longer. I guess it’s a good thing that I’m running so much that I’m wearing out my shoes, but can’t I wear out something cheaper, like a t-shirt? I have tons of those! But no, it has to be the $100 running shoes. As I’ve said before, do yourself a favor and get professionally fitted for running shoes and buy the good ones. They are the one thing not to go bargain basement on. And believe me, it’s hard for me because I don’t pay full price for A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G, but I’ve learned the hard way that running shoes are definitely worth it. Case in point is that I had one of my best runs today, with the new shoes. I wear New Balance 860s, but everyone is different so again, go get fitted. Running stores will do it for you without an extra charge, usually, and their shoe prices are the same as if you were to go to the brand specific store. I don’t get fitted every time I buy new shoes, just once a year.

I had sort of a crappy week last week with eating and working out. I was slacking on getting the new shoes and I didn’t run much (two days only, blech) and decided that the world was ending and needed to eat everything in site and finish all of the wine in my wine rack. Okay, I’m exaggerating (a little) and what I’ve noticed lately that even my “bad” days (or weeks in this instance) are still not as “bad” as what I used to do. And I am right back on track. I had a great run today, have logged all of my food so far this week (granted, it’s only Tuesday but…) and am focused. Super focused. With x-ray eyes that will zap Super Slug Girl. And in the future, Super Fit Girl will emerge victorious. Sweating her ass off.

1 comment:

  1. After my long run last week I had to stuff my shoes with newspaper to dry them out. "Wow Luke, you must be tough, running in the rain like that!" "No Jen, it was just a bit humid and I sweat more than you" :)

    Good for you for getting out there.

    ReplyDelete