Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Back in the Saddle

So it’s been a little over a week since the Batavia Triathlon and I’ve been in full slacker mode. Not working out, not logging my food, possibly eating ice cream more than once a week. Okay more than twice a week. Ack! This is my M.O. I do one big thing like the Tri and then stop all together. I did it when I did the first Triathlon 9 years ago. I did it again after the Indy Half Marathon 7 years ago. Some people need a week to recover. I, apparently, need two years. Well, it’s not going to happen again.

I haven’t officially signed up yet, but I will be competing in the Go Girl Triathlon in Indianapolis, Indiana on August 27. There are several beautiful things about this Tri: 1. It’s all women. Not that I don’t thoroughly enjoy the eye candy that are male triathletes but there is something about a women-only sporting event that is a little more comforting. I don’t know why I think this because, honestly, women are way more judgmental than men are but it’s not so much about being judged as it is feeling that sisterly camaraderie with a group of women all going for the same goal. Plus, chicks rule. 2. It’s in Indy, which is doubly exciting because one of my dearest friends just moved there and I’ll be staying with her and her new hubby (and I think I have her talked in to doing her first Tri with me). 3. It’s shorter than my last Triathlon! Woot! The swim is a little longer, 500 meters, but the bike is 10 miles (instead of 14.7) and the run is a 5K (instead of 4.1).

The only downfall is that it’s that it’s at the end of August and it is likely to be super hot out. The day of the Batavia Triathlon was ridiculously perfect. Couldn’t have been any better. 70 degrees was the high. Sunny. No humidity. That won’t happen at the end of August, but I’ll be in even better shape by then, and hopefully won’t lose my nutrition replacement and Gatorade on the bike like last time.

Now I just need to get motivated to get back to my training regimen. I am going to reread my favorite parts of Slow, Fat Triathlete and gaze at the photos of my finish at the Batavia Tri to get the blood pumping again. I am also going to do a couple of 5Ks this summer, which should help keep me motivated to work out. Here’s hoping. I have to stop using lame excuses too like, “Well, my tailbone still hurts from the Tri” or “Wow, my quads are still really sore.” Lame, lame, lame. I don't even really know what a "quad" is. It just sounds cool. Anyway, my goal is to get at least four days of something in this week. Even if it’s a short run or bike. Something to get back on track (or the track!).

Thank you to everyone who has read and/or commented on my little blog, emailed, posted on Facebook, called, and sent me letters congratulating me on completing the Batavia Tri. Your love and support means the world to me and it really helps to keep me motivated to become the healthy athlete I’ve always dreamed of being. If any of you are reading this thinking that you can’t do something because of your weight, or age, or whatever, think again. I crossed that finish line and the hardest part about it was getting to the starting line. Okay, that, and swimming in freezing water, fighting the mental demons who wanted to make me stop, being last on the bike, etc. But that’s all conquerable stuff. You don’t have to do a Triathlon. I just happen to like that sport. But you can do something, even if it’s walking around the block. Okay, that was my Tony Robbins moment of the day. I’m not in this to motivate anyone to do anything. It’s really just about me and getting myself mentally and physically where I want to be. But if my words do help, well, that’s just icing on the cake. Mmmmm, icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment