Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Rain, Rain, Go Away

I hope everyone had a Happy Easter, Passover, Equinox, etc. I celebrated Easter with family and some dear friends at my house. We had lovely (not very healthy) food and it was a great day. I started the day sitting on the deck with my husband and a cup of coffee on our new deck furniture (that I've been dreaming about owning since he built our deck three summers ago), watching cardinals and chick-a-dees flit around my bird feeders and listening church bells ringing in Easter morning. It was quite glorious and the closest I've felt to God in a while. I think people use the word "blessed" gratuitously, but at the moment, I was truly blessed. I wasn't thinking about losing weight, or that I'm not training enough for the Triathlon, or stressing about work or even obsessing over setting the perfect table for Easter (although my table was beautiful, if I do say so myself). I was at peace and truly in the moment. Blessed, indeed.

My workout scheduled suffered last week mostly from laziness but also getting the house ready to host Easter. I did have a great swim last week, though. I did my first timed 400 meter swim, which is the distance of the triathlon swim, in 15 minutes and 45 seconds! I don't know how that compares to anyone or anything but I don't really care. In that moment, I felt like Michael Phelps and literally heard crowds cheering in my head. It was one of those great days to be at the pool too because I went in the middle of day and it was virtually empty except for a couple of senior citizens doing water aerobics. I love senior citizens, by the way. They are in my lineup of favorite types of people, just under 6 month old babies (who are always giggly and sweet). Senior citizens have been around long enough to not really give a shit about most things and are nice, non-judgmental people. Most of them, at least. But everything has outliers, right?

The triathlon is about a month and a half away and I'm starting to get nervous. The weather has been awful around here, mostly cold and rainy with a few bursts of nice weather that don't last very long. Because of that, I haven't been on my bike once, which is starting to make me really twitchy. I know the bike is my strongest leg and I know that I can do the distance, but I really want to bike the race route and then do what they call "bricks" which is training two of the legs of the race in the same day. So I want to bike, then run to work on my leg stamina and I haven't had a chance to do so because of the weather. Hey, didn't I say in my last blog that I don't complain about stuff like the weather? Well, I am now. I'm so sick of this crappy weather! There, got it off my chest. So, I'll keep swimming and jogging (indoors and out) until I can get my behind on the bike.

I've also decided to re-join Weight Watchers. It really is a great plan that works for me and if I'm not staying on top of what I eat and am accountable to someone other than myself, I'm in trouble. So I start back to meetings on Monday. I go to an excellent meeting in downtown Chicago just down the street from my office. It's not only convenient and has a great leader, but the building and room it is in had a spectacular view of Grant Park and Lake Michigan. Win-win-win. I'll let you know how it goes. Until then, stay dry!

No comments:

Post a Comment